My goodness, Okrent is such a snot. From the great Krugman/Okrent caged death match:
- For a man who makes his living offering strong opinions, Paul Krugman seems peculiarly reluctant to grant the same privilege to others.
- I’ll try to eschew argument and stick to facts – or, at least, the sort of statements that he himself represents as purely factual:
- I learned early on in this job that Prof. Krugman would likely be more willing to contribute to the Frist for President campaign than to acknowledge the possibility of error.
Finally, though, we get an explanation of why he never laid a glove on Brierney, even in his farewell rant:
- I also believe that columnists are entitled by their mandate to engage in the unfair use of statistics, the misleading representation of opposing positions, and the conscious withholding of contrary data.
And he concludes with the classic pre-emptive whine:
- If he replies to this statement, as I imagine he will, I’ll let him have what he always insists on keeping for himself: the last word.
- I hate to do this to a decent man like my successor, Barney Calame, but I’m hereby turning the Krugman beat over to him.
What an embarassment. The whole thing reads like two people wrote it - one to do the heavy economic lifting to take on Krugman - and one to lay on the whining snark. That would be right up Okrent's alley.